Sunday, April 13, 2014

Alcohol Detox Center in New Jersey- An Experience of a Lifetime

When I was drinking heavily and it was borderline alcohol abuse, I thought to myself, "I am just having a rough patch but I will pull through." When I started drinking every day I knew I might have a problem. When I tried to stop drinking and found that I could not successfully for any length of time, I was convinced I might be an alcoholic. 

There are many stages involved before drinking become a real problem and when getting help is no longer optional. I had reached the final stage when I received my 4th DUI. I knew that there was nothing I could do in my own power to stop drinking and avoid spending the rest of my life in jail or the nut house. This is when I finally threw up my hands, waived the white flag and admitted I was a "real alcoholic" and I needed help from a professional alcohol detox center and rehabilitation program. 

I tried calling a number of alcohol detox center in New Jersey. I think I must have called at least 10 or that is how it at least felt having to go over the same questions, verify insurance over and over and be told I was not a candidate due to this reason or that reason. Most times, well all times, it was because my insurance did not want to pay for an alcohol detox center or they didn't pay enough. I found myself desperate for help but unable to get the help I so desperately needed. 

I had just about given up all hope when a friend told me about The Detox Center. I thought to myself, "great another detox center I have to deal with and get denied by." I told my friend that I didn't even want to call because I didn't want to get rejected again. He told me he would call and ensured me this place was different and they were able to help him when he went through a similar experience looking for a detox forheroin addiction. He said that The Detox Center was not a detox at all but a network of detox centers throughout NJ. He said they had relationships with alcohol detox centers, detox centers that dealt with low income clients to those who wanted something a little more luxurious. 

It was only a matter of hours before someone from The Detox Center called me back and said they not only had a bed available in an alcohol detox center but they also had a bed available for an alcohol treatment center. I was completely shocked. I had tried time and time again to find a place to go with no success. How did they find me both so quickly? I never bothered to ask since I was just happy to have a place to help me get through the withdrawals I knew I would have once I stopped drinking. 

It was about 12;30 p.m when we spoke to The Detox Center and by 4:30 p.m I was packing up and on my way into detox. Once I got there I was more than pleasantly surprised. The staff was very encouraging and on a couple bad nights, they were right there next to me. After I got through the withdrawals, I started going to some groups and listening to how other people stopped drinking and using drugs. This really inspired me and I started to feel hope, something I had lost a long time ago. 

Once I got to the alcohol treatment center, I was greeted by all the other clients. I was welcomed as though I was entering into a new family. I later understood why. I really was a part of a new family. When I completed treatment I started going to AA meetings like the rehab had suggested. I got a sponsor and worked the 12 steps of Alcoholic Anonymous. I even sponsored a couple of guys which I still have in my life on a daily basis. 


I am so grateful that my friend helped me find Alcohol Detox Center NJ and their team. I truly believe I would have died if it wasn't for everyone willing to help me. Thank God for friends and thank God for AA and the 12 steps. 

No comments:

Post a Comment