Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Bradley Cooper: Speaking Out About His Substance Abuse


Bradly Cooper is an American actor who first came to the public’s attention in the TV shows “Jack & Bobby” and “Alias.”  He later appeared in such movies as “Wedding Crashers” and “He’s Just Not That into You,” as well as “The Hangover” trilogies.  The actor has been nominated for Best Actor and Best Supporting Actor for the movies “Silver Linings Playbook,” and “American Hustle.”

Recently, Cooper gave an interview to GQ magazine (January 2014) and he spoke openly about his past addictions which plagued him early in his acting career.  He revealed he had trouble getting parts which in turn impacted his self-confidence.  Cooper even states in the interview at the beginning of his career he wanted to “kill himself.” Bradley Cooper had a tough time in life, before he managed to crack into the leading man roles he now currently enjoys and he found escaping his pain through substance abuse was not the answer he’d been searching for.

During the early 2000’s, Cooper admitted he was battling drug and alcohol addiction and said he felt it hindered his work.  He stated during the interview, “I think work was getting ******** up.  The one thing I’ve learned in life is the best thing I can do is embrace who I am and then do that to the fullest extent, and then whatever happens, happens.  The more steps I do to not do that, the farther I am away from fulfilling any potential I would have.  So the answer to that question, then, is: Yes, of course if hindered the work.”
After the actor became sober, he would take whatever part he could manage to land, which included a guest stint of six episodes of the popular show Nip Tuck and a few other low budget movies.  Now that the actor has become clean and sober, he has blossomed into leading man material and was named People magazines Sexiest Man Alive in 2011

Bradley Cooper has come a long way and paid his dues in Hollywood and he carries the memories of the harsh lessons he learned through engaging in substance abuse with him every day.  He has managed to escape his substance abuse problem and is now excelling in his career unlike ever before.  He recalled during the interview,” I was doing these movies…and I was sober,” he states,” And I’m like, “Oh, I’m actually myself. And I don’t have to put this on air to be somebody else, and this person still wants to work with me.  Oh, what the **** is that about?” I was rediscovering myself in this workplace and it was wonderful.”

Bradley Cooper is living proof that seeking treatment and recovering from one’s drug and alcohol problems will allow them to be the best person they can be.  Although the actor has had his ups and downs, he is now in a much better place than he was a decade ago and he constantly reminds himself of the past and where he came from and he remains humble, hardworking and appreciative of the blessings sobriety has brought him.

Related Coverage




No comments:

Post a Comment